Tuesday 28 April 2009

Excel 2007 Files Automatically Open with Excel Web Access

When a user has 'Read' permissions or higher to an Excel 2007 workbook (.xlsx) within a SharePoint 2007 document library that they have only 'Limited Access' permissions to, something strange happens. :-)

In this situation, when they click on the file, instead of opening the workbook with Excel, SharePoint attempts to open the document with Excel Web Access. Disabling Excel Calculation Services on the server will not change this functionality! (only make it break further ;-) ).

The workaround is to either give the user 'Read' or higher permissions on the document library or to change the .xlsx file to a regular .xls (Excel 97 - 2003 workbook).

Let me know if you find a better solution! :-)

1 comment:

  1. I work with excel files quite often and once my nephew asked me about one excel problem. I couldn't help him and started looking for the solution. And luckily found out it yesterday evening, he thanked me a lot and in my view in this situation the tool will be helpful - repair excel.

    ReplyDelete